From 1813 to 1965, Stebbins Gulch and its surroundings were in the hands of private farm owners. Few traces of farming activity remain, but this may be one of them, a short section of stone wall a few feet above and parallel to the creek bed. In full summer foliage, it is easily overlooked. We are not sure who built it, how old it is, or what purpose it served. It is located next to the narrowest part of the ravine, at the top of the long streambed slope known as “The Slide” or “The Spillway.” The latter name might suggest its purpose as part of some sort of water control structure such as a dam or mill.
|Return to Stop 13|