The Holden Arboretum formed its first police department in 1974, but it wasn’t until 1999 that it was fully commissioned under the laws of the state of Ohio. The role of the department is to provide services that ensure the proper stewardship of our unique natural areas and collections. The police department also oversees the safety of Holden employees, volunteers, guests and the public.
The Holden Arboretum Police Department (HAPD) is led by a full-time chief of police, supported by one full-time and additional part-time officers. With full law enforcement authority granted by state law under Ohio Revised Code 1702.80, the department follows policies and procedures mutually agreed upon with the surrounding jurisdictions. Each year, officers participate in a variety of law enforcement training programs to help ensure the safety of Arboretum guests.
Officers play an integral role in Holden Forests & Gardens’ safety program by reporting and correcting hazards, providing emergency services and first aid, conducting fire drills and minding the general physical safety of everyone on the Arboretum property, for any reason. Officers also represent the department at public events to help foster a good relationship with the public, including Goblins in the Garden at the Arboretum and Safety Town programs and school career days in the surrounding communities.
General services include:
- General law enforcement, which includes enforcement of Ohio traffic and criminal codes, as well as mutual aid for police and fire departments in the surrounding communities
- Road, foot and bicycle patrols
- Assistance with way-finding, disabled vehicles, traffic control, jump starts and keys locked in cars
- Search and rescue
- Non-criminal incidents involving wildlife, vehicles, missing persons and disturbance complaints
- Special building and neighboring property checks
- Wildlife management
- Drone use at the Arboretum
- Sean O’Neil, Chief of Police
- Kevin Goodman, Police Officer
- Pete Greene, Police Officer
- Jeff Miloro, Police Officer
- Tony Piotrowski, Police Officer
- Chuck Turcek, Police Officer
The Holden Arboretum Police Department encourages guests to enjoy their visit and walk and hike with caution. Guests should contact the Police Department’s non-emergency number, 440.478.1291, if they see anything unusual or unsafe.