Week of March 23, 2020
Annie Rzepka, Horticulturist, is out this week near Blueberry Pond cutting back perennials of all kinds. Here are some tips on how to trim a Hellebore, more commonly know as a Lenten Rose.
- Gather the tools you will need for job – pruners, bucket and garden gloves.
- Carefully remove leaf litter to reveal the base of the Hellebore or other perennial.
- Cut the stems as close to the ground as possible to remove the old, damaged leaves being careful to not accidentally snip off the new flowers or new leaf growth.
- Place the cut leaves into the bucket.
- Once you have cut back all the old foliage, gently redistribute the leaf litter around the base of the plant to lightly cover any new seedlings.
- Step back and take a look at your beautiful flowers before moving on to your next plant.
Fun Tip: If you accidentally snip off flower you can put it in a bowl with water to enjoy in your home – they look lovely floating!